Sunday, April 20, 2014

Of trains and sights..

It's been almost a month since I skipped town for a good week and headed over to a country I wouldn't have considered going alone. But thanks to 2 friends and a random sentence. We headed over to Sri Lanka: Wonder of Asia.

We covered Kandy (Madulkelle). Kitugala. Nuwara Eliya. Yala. Galle and Colombo. But of course to get to Kandy. We had to take the train from Colombo and it was one of the most scenic route thus far.

'Colombo Fort Railway Station: This is the main railway station situated in the heart of Colombo. The building was built and put into operation in 1908. At present, the station consists of 10 platforms and caters 0.2 million passengers daily. It consists of passenger waiting room, changing room (utility rooms) and cafeterias. Station has special arrangements for disabled persons. The main seat reservation counter of the Sri Lanka Railways too is at the Colombo Fort Railway Station.' (Extracted from: http://www.railway.gov.lk/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=151%3Aslide-4&catid=48%3Aslideshow&lang=en)




It was a busy station no doubt. And coming from a country where trains were a transport of the yesteryears. It was amazing to see the hustle and bustle of the station and the clockwork precision in which people boarded and alighted the trains. Everyone seemed to know which platform to head to while I was juz soaking up the atmosphere and wishing that I had more chances to take a train.


Something caught my eye along the way..



And this was our train! I guessed us being us we decided to take the best class of the carriage (with air con) since it was gonna be almost 3 hours of train ride and we didn't know what to expect had we taken the other classes. 


Well maintained and clean and comfortable. With power sockets by the side of some seats.. It was really like any other ride. 


So I met a super nice stranger who was seated by the window seat and he got up one point and took long to come back. So I shifted over to his seat and this was what I caught on camera. *heartz*


As the train continued into the countryside and by the edge of the forest. The stranger came back but seeing that I was happily snapping away. He offered to change seats with me for the rest of trip 'It doesn't matter to me where I sit.' Awesome! So I did and captured the rest on my camera. 





I still enjoy travelling by trains compared to planes though the time taken would be longer. And still buses over trains. But these sights were something that would stay with me for a long time to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment